Thursday, October 4, 2007

"One nation under God"

Our Pledge of Allegiance states: "One nation under God;" and "In God we trust" is printed on our currency. Removing these phrases has long been debated. I am interested in what types of questions and discussions will follow this vision:

“Foundations can’t be moved, without destroying ability. If the foundation of this building we’re in right now were removed, what would happen to the building? It would collapse. Now you can move the building and put it on another foundation, but that foundation…it’s there, because foundations are secure. Because this nation we know what the foundation is. It’s all over the constitution; it’s all over the walls of the Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial. It’s written throughout history. Regardless of what the politicians believe, regardless of what you and I attest to, treat this truth; the founding fathers built it on the truth of the word of God. Everything about the laws of this land were taken from the scripture of the Old Testament. They were right from the Old Testament books of the law. And so, you can’t move away from that foundation without destroying the nation. And so this whole debate and argument over what’s truth and what’s not truth, the only truth I found of this nation is we left a country of tyranny, for religious freedom to worship." -Sonic Flood

In response to the reading, do you believe these phrases should be removed from our Pledge of Allegiance and/or our currency?

1 comment:

megoldb@ilstu.edu said...

While I know this issue can be pretty heated for some, I don't have a strong opinion either way. Yes, I think it is disrespectful to keep "G-d" in the realm of politics in today's day and age, but I understand the reasoning for doing so "back in the day." That aside, I don't see the argument for keeping the word in the Pledge of Allegiance and on our currency within this reading. While I don't doubt the argument is valid, I don't see the support within this reading. Yes, tradition and appreciating origins is important, but there is no depth to the argument. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I stand indifferent on the issue, for I don't feel attached to either.